Best RV Water Pump Reviews (Updated June 2020)
Water is very essential in life, especially when you are on the road because packing cases of water bottles are too expensive. This means that you are going to need a water pump in your RV to get an ample supply of water while on your trip. Fortunately, the majority of RVs already have a built-in water pump. If you are thinking of replacing the water pump in your RV, there are good ones you can buy from online and the most common one is the 12V RV type of water pump.
You will find here the considerations you need to make before buying a water pump and the different brands you can choose from. It is not advisable to just go ahead and buy any water pump because you also need to hear reviews about each one and there will be 5 products in this post.Table could not be displayed.
What to Consider Before Buying an RV Water Pump
The Power and Pressure
Even if these pumps are operating at the same voltage, they differ in terms of power and the pressure it gives. The most recommended way for you to understand water pumps on a better level is to look at its specs and look at the number of gallons it can pump every minute. You should also check the statistics of the PSI for a better idea, but it is simpler to understand the physics of gallons that gets pumped every minute. Normally, you are going to look for something that pumps about three gallons each minute for good power.
Wiring, Fuses, and Voltage
The majority of the pumps have 12 volts with only a few that operate on 24 volts for trucks and buses. The detail is always according to the specification and it is recommended to put a fuse in the wiring before the electrical device. The recent draw found in these pumps is normally a bit low and from 2.5mm to 4mm wire in most cases that are enough. It is recommended that you run a twin wire up to the pump instead of placing earth on the chassis, like using chassis mostly lead to problems.
How much noise a water pump produces is reliant on the type and how powerful it is. In order to lessen the noise of a tank pump that is free-standing, you can buy or make a pump cover to seal it off. A cover becomes the pump protector from elements, muffle and the noise. Although, make sure the cover is enough to let airflow in so the pump will not overheat.
Best Water Tank Pump For You
No products found.
There are installed submersible tanks in the water tank and stay under the water. This one is able to minimize the pump noises, and save space.
Auto Switch and Rating of Pressure
The basic pumps are only pumps and they need to be turned off and on using a separate switch. There are Inline and submersible ones that fall under this category. These can be placed directly through the spout or shower without putting a tap on. They can be stopped by turning off the pump using a switch.
Even if it is tempting to pick the largest and powerful pump you can find, it is significant to remember that pumps need to draw energy when the tap is on. The more power the pump has, the more energy it has. This means that purchasing a pump that is too big for what you need can add to your electricity and water bills.
To lessen the usage of energy, you need to lessen how many times your pump has to be activated. This can be made possible by having a gravity feed system, a pressure tank or a header tank system.
The Pump Cycle
The cycling happens when the pump is turned off and on a few times while taking a bath. This is caused by the flow rate of the pump exceeding your water usage rate. If the pump has a rating of 10 liters every minute, this is going to cause cycling.
The pump should stop when there is a reduction of pressure in the pipe. When it goes below a preset value, the pump gets activated again. This will cause the pump to turn on and off, and sometimes right away.
Top 5 RV Water Pump Reviews
1. SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
No products found.
This is a self-priming water pump that has several by-pass with a low cycle. It operates quietly and has thermal protection.
The pump is able to run dry without having any damage and has a built-in valve for checking. The dry can prime up to 6 vertical feet and it comes with a warranty of 2 years.
The product dimensions are 4.8 x 5.5 x 11.5” and the weight is 5 pounds. 3 GPM, 55 PSI that pumps fresh water that moves around the unique diaphragm and internal by-pass.
- The installation is very easy and I did not have any trouble following the instructions because they are very clear
- All of the mounting holes are matched completely and the pipes are found in the same place
- It is working very well using showers and it does not make a lot of noise
- Compared to older models, this pump has better pressure and it stops right away after I turn it off
- The thick rubber feet is perfect for mounting which absorbs vibration
- The pump works according to how it is advertised so I am very pleased
- I think that it will easily get rusty so extra care needs to be applied
If you are someone who is not familiar with installing water pumps in your RV, you should buy this one because the instructions are very clear and you will not have a hard time. Aside from that, there will be no vibration that might scare you off. You just have to take extra care of it because it might get rusty right away. There is also a warranty of 2 years.
2. Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pump, 12 Volt DC, Macerator, Includes Carrying Case
No products found.
It can connect straight to the waste outlet of the RV and it has a 3” hose. The pump can dump longer distances and you can flush out what’s inside your holding tanks at home by the use of a receiver.
There is a discharge port for the garden hose and can rinse fresh water. Has a remote on and off switch that has been handheld with a 6” harness with a protection against run dry for up to 30 seconds. You can easily clean up and store the water pump, that has a portable case. The motor is a 12 Vdc permanent kind of magnet type that has been fully enclosed with a shaft.
- The pump works great and it is able to pulverize all of the solid waste left inside the holding tank
- Even if I pump 100 feet uphill, the pump does not have any trouble with it
- It is going to last for years even if you use it a lot and heavily
- Clearing out waste is not a struggle when I use this pump and I can trust it not to fail
- For the price I paid for, it is definitely a very good deal and I know it will be with me for yearsCons
- I had a hard time following the instructions, but that is the only issue I have with this product
This is a very good product and I would buy it again if the one I have broken down. I just hope they do something about the instructions because they are pretty hard to follow, but everything else is great. This is a good option for you.
3. SHURFLO (4028-100-E54) 12V 2.3 GPM Water Pump
No products found.
The automatic demand design is able to eliminate the necessity of putting a tank and even difficult electronics. It comes with a thermal overload protection and it can run dry without having any damage.
The built-in valve prevents a backflow and 6 vertical feet of a dry prime. It also replaces the Shurflo Smart Sensor Pumps. It is 12 volts and a maximum of 10 amps. The dimensions of the product are 6.2 x 6.2 x 12.5” and the weight is 5 pounds.
- The pump works perfect and have not experienced any trouble ever since I installed it
- I love it that it does not make a lot of noise, which is ideal if I want to camp with others because I will not disturb them
- When I ordered the item, I did not have to wait for a long time and everything is complete
- The strength of the pump is a lot stronger than the one I previously had
- There is a good flow rate and it works adequately
- The rapid cycle is not fast enough for me so it needs a bit of work in that aspect
The water pump is perfect except for the rapid cycle, but I still love it. Especially that it is easy to install and I was able to install it right away. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for any replacement.
4. SHURFLO AQUA KING II Standard Fresh Water Pump - 12 VDC, 3.0 GPM
No products found.
It has a new pump design that was made using a unique one-piece diaphragm and a by-pass that assures long life and good performance in all systems. It is designed to be the next reputable pump to go over the expectations of the customers.
The pump is made for high flow, minimal noise, and no rapid cycle. The quality reputation is made for the reliability of all pumps and much lesser noise. The dimensions of the product are 4.90 x 8.10 x 4.30” and the flow rate is 2.3 GPM, 12 VDC.
- Easy installation because of the clear and simple instructions it has
- The price is great for the efficiency it has while I am using this pump
- The pump works quietly so it does not interrupt anything that I am doing and that is a great advantage for me
- You can expect that it will work according to how it is advertised
- It is able to hold pressure very well and it does do rapid cycling
- It tends to get a bit noise after a while, so make sure it does not reach that point
This is one of the pumps that have the best value and I am not left disappointed after ordering it. The customer service is great and it arrives quickly.
5. Shurflo 4048153E75 Electric Water Pump
No products found.
The product has a design with four chambers for a good flow to fulfill all demands. There is no rapid cycling and designed for harsh environment and they are self-priming up to 6 and will run dry without causing damage.
It is featuring a sealed motor and pressure, and e-coated housing so it will last long. With thermal breaker 2.0 GPM pumps that can handle 1 – 2 fixtures and the bigger pumps are for multi-installations. The weight of the item is 4.6 pounds.
- It is very powerful and does not produce a lot of noise so I have a peace of mind
- I find it to be the perfect replacement because it uses the same fittings like the one I previously had
- Works as advertised so anyone who buys this will not be fooled or cheated
- It is a bit pricey, but that is a minor concern
It is a pump I would also highly recommend because everything works as described. I also did not have a hard time coordinating with their customer service so the product came right away and everything was complete.
Refer to this guide when you are going to buy an RV water pump because you will not go wrong.