Best RV Holding Tank Treatment Reviews (Updated May 2018)
This post is going to be discussing RV holding tanks that you can buy today, but before buying anything, you need to know what to look for buying a holding tank treatment for your RV. It is because I do not want you to make a mistake of choosing the wrong one. You should also know that most of the free dump stations where RVers dump their waste are closing because of the harmful chemicals to septic systems.
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 19:55 PST - Details
You can deal with the RV black tank in two ways when you own an RV. The 1st thing to do is not to use it at all so you do not have to pay attention to it. Normally, RV owners only like to camp in areas where there is a public bathroom so it won’t be necessary for them to use the toilet. They are the ones who do not want to empty a tank. The 2nd option is to have your own RV facilities inside the RV, and handle the reality of emptying and cleaning the tank. If you want to do the 2nd option, here’s what you need to consider before buying an RV holding tank treatment:
What to Consider Before Buying an RV Holding Tank Treatment
- You should drain the black tank before the gray one because you should get the solids and nasty stuff out first. After that, you can rinse it using soap and water. Avoid dumping or rinsing food particles in the gray tank.
- Make sure it is the right base if you want always to work properly, and clean. You should know that the RV septic tank needs to have water in its base all the time. It helps in keeping odors away from your living space, and then the water in the bowl gives you assurance that solids will go down without sticking to any surface.
- Remember that the RV and black water and gray water valves do not have any label. The valve in the black tank is normally larger than the gray one.
How Long Will You Travel?
If you will be away for long periods of time without the chance of discharging the waste tank, the toilet system might need additional consideration so you can be comfortable. The vehicles that have a cassette or portable toilet should have an extra waste tank so the capacity will be bigger.
Is It a Remote Place?
If the place you will go to is away from any source of water or electricity for a long time, you need to have something portable like the cassette toilet or the toilet. These can be used anywhere you go and do not think that the electrical power will save you. All portable RV toilets and cassettes have a water reservoir that is filled up before starting any trip.
Removing The Waste in Your Black Water Tank
Once your trip is done, you should look for an approved place where you can dump the waste in your tank. You need to hook the waste hose and close the other end using the dump station. You would have to empty the gray and black water tank, but keep in mind that you always have to empty the black water tank first. When you have successfully done this, seal the valve with an RV black water tank, after that, empty the gray water tank by opening the valve.
- You do not have to treat the tank each time you are going to dump, but if the gray tank has an odor, the bad stuff only grows on top of the tank. In case this happens, it is necessary for you to treat it using chemicals. The easiest thing to do is to sprinkle 2 or 3 scoops inside a large bucket to dissolve it. You can now finish filling up the tank, but if you are going to move away , it is better to fill it up 2/3 while moving and rinsing it as soon as you arrive at the next destination.
- You should treat the gray tank after dumping it for 3 times. For doing the treatment normally, fill the sink with about 1 gallon of water and then 1 scoop of chemical before draining the sink.
Top 5 RV Holding Tank Treatment Reviews
1. Happy Campers Organic Holding Tank Treatment - 64 treatments
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 19:55 PST - Details
It does not have any odor and no chemical or sewer smell. The treatment is organic, environmentally friendly, biodegradable, effective in any temperature, and it keeps on working.
The product is liquefied so it will not be necessary for you to use expensive tissue. You can use the ordinary tissue you have at home. The dimensions of the product are 6.5 x 5.2 x 5.1” and the weight is 6.1 pounds.
- I do not experience any odor when I use this treatment and it is indeed very easy to apply
- It is true that you do not have to buy any special type of tissue to use this product
- I am not worried about the weather in the area where I will go to because the treatment will definitely work no matter what
- Even if I dry camp for days, there is no smell at all
- This treatment is versatile because it can be used in your gray tank also
- I do not smell any mold when I use this so I never feel uncomfortable
- You should stir the product right away because it will harden like cement making it impossible for you to flush
I think that if you are looking for a tank treatment that will really get rid of the smell, this is what you need to buy, and you can use it for the gray tank as well.
2. Unique RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment 128 oz. - 64 Treatments
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 19:55 PST - Details
It is able to digest solids and gets rid of foul odors with a formula that has advanced enzymes and bacteria. This does not have any formaldehyde and it completely unclogs holding tanks with very little time. it is able to clean and restore the sensors in the tank and there are level gauges.
Digests all kinds of toilet paper and there is no need to buy any special toilet paper. The dimensions of the product are 6 x 6 x 11.9” and the weight is 9 pounds.
- I have used this product several times already and it is better than what I had before
- I let it sit in the tank for 2 days and everything was flushed out without giving me any problems
- Every time I use this for my tank, the sensors show a tank that is completely empty
- Even if the trailer I own is 2 years old, the product works great
- I did not have any problems with odors coming from the tank because there was nothing
- When I buy toilet paper, I do not have to worry about getting a different one for this treatment because any kind is fine
- The bathroom stays fresh longer if I use this treatment
- It needs more attention if the temperature is hot, but this is very minor
It is worth every penny and if you have a visitor while camping, you will not be worried about any smell because you will not smell anything bad as long as you have this with you.
3. Unique Natural Products Marine Digest It Holding Tank Treatment, 32-Ounce
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 20:04 PST - Details
it only requires overnight for it to unclog the holding tank and it can deodorize the holding tanks. The sensors are also cleaned. This treatment handles bilge oil, blood, and even fish oil. You do not have to worry about your family and pets, because it is safe to use around them.
You can use any brand or kind of toilet paper with this product and that is very convenient. The product dimensions are 3.1 x 3.1 x 9” and the weight is 2.2 pounds.
- I have an old sailboat and I definitely saw the decrease in scale and scum that has been building up in the tank
- Even if I try to look for odor, I do not smell anything and that is how effective this is
- I had a few issues with my black water tank, and good thing I came across this one because it works like a charm
- It broke down all the dirt in the tank and that makes it all worth it
- I love it that the product is all natural so even if my pets or children are around, I do not have to worry
- Their customer service is very quick to respond and they answered all of my questions right away
- You need to put a little more to get rid of the odor
If you own a sailboat, this product is for you. I also cannot complain about the price because it does not cost too much and gives me the result I want. You can use this even for older RVs.
4. Camco 41559 TST Lavender Drop-Ins Holding Tank Treatment (15 packs)
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 20:05 PST - Details
It is a product that eliminates any odor and gives lubrication to sensors in the holding tank of RVs. It is approved by the marine and RV because it is does not contain formaldehyde.
This is safe to use in any septic tank and it has a fresh lavender scent. You can use it easily because of the drop-ins. There are 15 packs and the dimensions of each is 9.5 x 5.5 x 3.3” and the weight is 1.2 pounds.
- Really simple to use
- The blank tank seems to flush everything out when I am dumping it
- The foul odor is really eliminated and I do not smell anything unpleasant
- The price is reasonable and the product is high quality
- Delivery was prompt and it came as expected
- The advertisement does not lie and it works according to the description
- The citrus scent needs to be stronger because I do not smell anything, but still an excellent product
If you do not want any foul odor to disturb you all day and every day, this is what you need. I highly recommend it even to those who have a sensitive nose.
5. TankTechsRx - RV Holding Tank Treatment & Cleaner Large 68 Treatments
Last update on 2019-11-13 at 20:22 PST - Details
This is a product that uses less for more, which means that each treatment costs very little. The oz. treatment is going to multiply so that it can work on any tank.
The product is going to liquefy the solids and the tank will become totally empty. This is the only product you can find that is able to clean during storage. The product dimensions are 9.6 x 3.6 x 3.3” and the weight is 2.4 pounds.
- It’s been a year since I first bought this product and I still use it until now because it keeps the odors away
- The chemical composition in this product works really well and the whole tank just becomes empty
- I can use it for the gray tank as well
- The RV can be stored for months without me having to add other products
- The company is very attentive and will answer all of your questions
- The shipment is very fast and did not make me wait too long
- I needed to put a bit more to get rid of the odor, but only the first time I used it
This is a product that has many uses and it is very effective so I highly recommend it.
These are the only ones you should choose from when you are about to buy a treatment for your RV tank. I have done my research and tried them all; you will not be disappointed.