Top 5 Best RV Antenna Reviews (Updated May 2020)
While there are people who prefer to get away and relax from their daily routine while riding their RVs, there are still those who prefer to have the comfort and conveniences they have at home. They want to have a computer, their iPad, and TVs with them.
For travelers who want to watch their favorite TV shows even while on vacation, they want to get a good reception. RVers can get a cable, satellite, or antenna to be able to watch their shows. A lot of RVers use several methods that depend on their capacity and travel.
If you do not know how you can get free TV reception in your RV without a continuous monthly cost, you can buy a special antenna that is designed to receive signal from the local TV stations in your area. It is similar to the old “bunny ears” antenna that you normally see that are able to detect signals from a lot of broadcasting stations. This can vary, but it will depend on your location. In other cases, if the location is remote, there might not be any reception at all.
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 11:02 PST - Details
What To Consider When Buying RV TV Antenna
There are a lot of aspects that are questionable like the how far the TV broadcast transmitter is, the direction the RV antenna faces, the RV antenna power you buy, where it is placed, and the terrain. All of these add to up in making it difficult to recommend any RV antenna. If you are able to figure the distance and location of the TV signals, the antenna’s position can be fixed. The other consideration is to make sure that the right kind of antenna you have is appropriate for the signals.
The antenna can be mounted using minimal obstruction from outside and this is the best way to do it. It should be facing the towers used for broadcasting and then plug the antenna cable into the TV’s back or video switch. You can turn the RV on and use the settings menu to do a channel scan. If you find this simple enough for you, then you are ready to have an RV antenna.
RV antennas are made using plastic and aluminum, and they can both snap right away, so if you are going to leave it and then go under trees, there is a chance that your antenna needs to be replaced soon. If you are not too particular with the coverage, you can get an indoor antenna that does not need to be raised or shifted down. You can easily store it if you are not using it, but controlling and positioning it is easier.
HD TV Antenna
The HD or high definition antennas are necessary if you want to watch HD channels. All of the antennas are HD, but if you want to save money by purchasing a used antenna for the TV, you need to make sure that the TV is an HD model. The stations give HD signals, and you need to make sure that you will not miss any of them.
Antennas are mountable in different places that include the vehicle’s roof, hood channel, mirror bars, trunk and bumper. Every method has its advantages and disadvantages so the individual has to gauge these that are related to their own needs and wants. Antennas have to be mounted higher on the vehicle so they can perform on a better scale and the coil has to be above the vehicle’s roof line. If you want the antenna to perform better, ½” of the antenna should be higher than the roof life.
You Can Consider Buying a WiFi Booster Antenna to Improve Reception
There are two kinds of this: one needs to be mounted on the RV’s exterior and the other one is a mini device that is on a desk and then you can plug it into your laptop. Either you can keep surfing the internet this way without the need to look for a good signal. If you are working outside your RV, there is no need to get a WiFi antenna.
- Extended RV Wi-Fi range - powerful amplifier and three high performance external antennas for increased range, multi-user mimo-ready for Faster performance for each device
- Secure RV Internet - Advanced Wi-Fi protected access (wpa and wpa2-psk), guest Network access, double firewall protection (spi and nat), denial of service attack prevention
- Simple setup - connect all of your devices instantly when you connect to a new Network. Easy step-by-step on screen instructions make setup a breeze
- Proven reliability - 2 year parts, 1 year labor warranty. Proven dome design is rigorously tested to meet the demands of the mobile environment
- Winegard antenna experts - RV industry pioneers and a leading designer and manufacturer of quality antenna and signal reception equipment since 1954
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 13:10 PST - Details
Top 5 RV TV Antenna Reviews
1. Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 11:02 PST - Details
It is a fully automatic multi-satellite TV antenna that supports all of the Direct TV HD receivers and provides reception that comes from 99 degrees, 101 degrees, and even 103 degrees for full SD and HD programming.
You will have the freedom of watching programs on several TVs simultaneously and you can use it with DVRs if you want to record from different satellites. The product dimensions are 46 x 27 x 13.8 inches and the weight is 5 pounds.
- All I have to do is push the button and it will tune in automatically
- It only takes 5 minutes to raise before it is able to locate the right satellites and only 3 minutes for it to fold and stow
- It will also be a good compensation for doing incline parking because it is not going to have any problems regarding that
- It definitely works great and installation is fairly simple so you will be able to use it after a few minutes
- The antenna works just like how it is advertised
- Since there is great reception, traveling is a lot easier
- It is a little on the heavier side, but that it is not a big problem once you get used to it
I think you should consider this antenna if you want to watch HD TV and have great reception.
2. Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER Gray/Black DISH Multi-Satellite TV Antenna
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 09:44 PST - Details
You will have programs from different satellites, which is similar to what you have at home. Only certified DISH reflectors are used so you will have the strongest signal and it is very compatible with DVRs so the best shows can be watched wherever you are.
This product will receive programs for Bell TV and DISH. It will stow in 10 inches or less and it is for stationary use only. The dimensions of the product are 47.2 x 27.8 x 16.2” and the weight is 50 pounds.
- The reception is excellent and I am very pleased with it
- The installation was fairly simple and so far, it works great
- Once this product is locked in, it does not move anymore and there is no humming that comes from the drive motors
- When I ordered the antenna, it came on time and worked according to what is written in the description
- The dish satellite functions a lot better compared to dome satellites
- The controls are easy to use and understandable so anyone can operate it right away
- All I have to do is to push a button and it will operate on its own
- Not compatible with all RVs so you better check first, but if it’s good with yours, then you won’t have any problems
I would recommend this to everyone and it is a product I would buy again in the future, but that won’t be happening soon because this one will last for years.
3. Winegard GM-6035 Black Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna with Power Inserter (Carryout G2+)
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 00:02 PST - Details
It has a power inserter with a powered coax cable which can be used to switch providers easily. The satellite providers are DISH (HD and standard), BellTV (HD and standard), DIRECTV (Standard). The easy setup is 100% automatic and setup takes only a few minutes.
There are optional mounts such as roof mount, tri-pod mount, window mount or side, a ladder and rear cab mount. The product has superior construction, there is an aluminum reflector, glass infused base, and an integrated satellite tuner. The dimensions are 19.7 x 16.4 x 16.3” and the weight is 10 pounds.
- It took me only 10 minutes to set it up before I was able to watch TV without any hassle
- When you have locked the unit, it works wonderfully and without any problems and you will catch the shows all day and all night
- I can say that it has a very durable quality and locking it takes only a few moments
- You can expect the unit to work as advertised and you will not be misled
- It arrived safely at my doorstep and on time so I did not have to wait for a long time before enjoying TV
- I am able to see the pictures clearly so I know that the reception is great and has no interruptions so far
- I did not have any trouble mounting it on the roof
- They need to improve their customer service because it took a while before they were able to answer my query
I think that this is going to be a good RV antenna for anyone who wants to watch with uninterrupted reception.
4. Winegard RVW-205 Sensar IV White Antenna Replacement Head
Last update on 2020-03-19 at 08:54 PST - Details
You can buy this product to upgrade the current antenna you have at a lower price and it is very easy to install. There is also an Amplified Sensar head for replacement and can easily be installed.
The product dimensions are 47.6 x 15.6 x 2.7” and the weight is 1.5 pounds. it is optimized for the current DTV spectrum and it is able to combine the powerful Sensar III and UHF booster for the best reception that covers as far as 55 miles. Your local programs will come on in HD or standard quality without any issues.
- Even if it says 55 miles, I can receive clear HD channel signals from 70 miles, which is really awesome
- Installation is simple and can use it right away
- This is a replacement that will fit perfectly on your antenna and after upgrading, the channels I receive are a lot clearer
- I love the performance of this product and how easy it is to install
- It has better reception than other products that claim to offer the same results
- Quick delivery from the site and they have a great customer service
- The first one I ordered needed replacement, but they were quick to respond and sent me a new one right away
If you want to upgrade your antenna at a lower price, you need to get this one and the reception is awesome.
5. KING OA8000 Jack Replacement Head HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna
No products found.
The purpose of the Sleek HDTV antenna is to change the old one over the air and the wide reception range makes it simpler to find the signal and then scan it to see the available channels.
This is digitally designed to have a better reception of UHF signals and the compact design is about 70% smaller compared to the traditional TV antennas. You can easily install it in a few minutes, without using special tools, and it is for your TV or home. The product dimensions are 17 x 13.9 x 2.9” and the weight is 3.3 pounds.
- The antenna gave it an upgrade without dealing with any interruptions
- All of the stations are showing clear pictures so I do not miss any of my favorite shows
- This is a very good investment for anyone who wants to upgrade their antenna
- You can expect it to work as advertised
- The channel reception I used to get has doubled ever since I installed this and the coverage is wide
- It did not take long before I was able to watch more channels
- It arrived a little late, but all good now
It is a wise investment if you love to watch TV anywhere
Before buying an antenna, look at what you need to consider so you will not end up wasting money and be disappointed in the long run. Pick from the products listed above and you will not regret anything.