Another issue about convertible car seat is how to use it or install it properly.
Let’s assume you already picked the product that best suits your needs – if you have a small car, you might want to check out here about the top five brands you should take into consideration.
1. Make sure that you have followed the manufacturer’s instructions in installation – some of them may have special directions for you. Read it carefully, and if you have any questions, you can email them directly.
It might seem like a no-brainer, but the fact is, parents improperly install three out of four car seats according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
It is quite alarming given that it’s an essential step in keeping your child safe in the car. It doesn’t matter how advanced your car seat is but if you’re not using it the way the correct way, it defeats the purpose.
2. Install it in the centre portion of the back seat and for infants and newborns, it should face the rear part of the vehicle.
During travels, you should keep them in this position until they’re about two years old and this is all for safety purposes, of course.
Most of today’s models already have a LATCH system which means you don’t need to secure it using a seat belt. Instead, there’s a mechanism which allows you to anchor it permanently to your car – thus, it’s more stable and secure for the little one.
3. After following the manual instructions, you can either check for correctness and stability or you can ask a professional to do it for you. Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry and in this particular case, you don’t want to take any risk.
4. Ensure that both the straps and harnesses snugly fit your newborn – it should neither be too tight nor too loose. Everything should lie flat so if you see any twists in the strap, straighten them out.
5. After buckling, double check how secured it is by tugging lightly. The head, neck and body supports should be in the correct position.
Some models may include these in the package while for others, you need to purchase them separately.
For newborn babies, never use the car seat without adequate support because it can do more harm than good – their head might flop forward during the drive.
And there’s a reason why support is an essential part in baby gear. You can add clean blankets or towels around the baby to make sure they stay snug.